I do not believe in reincarnation or past life. I believe we have one present life, so we must make the most of it. Each one of us measures a good life differently – to some, fame and money is a measure while to others helping the community and making a difference is. There is no wrong measure, it is what you want your life to be and set out to achieve within the framework of being humane.
Lots of articles are written around what happiness should look like, new age gurus curate their own life changing recipes, tons of books written on life mantras and what you must and mustn’t do. My take is – Do what feels right to you. Humans are born with the innate ability or instinct you might call it, to determine what is best for us. We choose to ignore the red flags in many situations, but most of the time the “little voice” within us, never fails to guide us in the right direction. We tend to bury this little voice and listen to the louder ramblings of the world at large.
So is this blog post about what is worthwhile? No, you know that already. It is about how we get to making it worthwhile.
I believe change is the only thing constant in our lives. The earlier we understand and embrace this fact, we would have won our first of many battles. Consciously or subconsciously, each one of us is aware of the changes we need to make. Making your life worthwhile is a conscious decision everyday. It is not a decision you take once and forget about it. Below are a few simple tips to get you started:
- Reflect on your current situation – For most of us, it takes a lot of courage to say to ourselves – I want to do something different with my life, I want to live my life more fully. In order to make any change, the first step is to be aware that you need that change. A lot of us go through life not knowing or ignoring the fact that we need changes, all because we are buried in the so called “I’m busy with my routine life” syndrome.
- Make a conscious decision to change – Once we are aware what change we need to make, the difficult part is, to take the decision to make it! Most stop here, for fear of rejection, shame, loneliness, loss of financial security, societal pressures and many more. No magical pill or spell can make you cross this path, only you can do it.
- Paint the big picture of what you want your life to be – Making a change and no plan, is a recipe for disaster. It is important to paint the big picture, that’s what will get you going. You need to determine what you want your end result of this change to look like, how do I want to make my life worthwhile?
- Set short and long term goals – Time and again, studies have shown that the world’s most successful people have always achieved their dreams by setting goals. Goals are like reminders to make sure that you are on track. You may choose to maintain these via fancy goal setting tools or a basic diary, the choice is yours. What’s important is that you write them down.
- Work towards your goals – Writing goals is the easy part. Following and achieving them is what’s important. Visit these goals regularly to ensure that you are on the right path.
- Re-evaluate and re-direct – As change is always constant, it is important to re-evaluate the situation one is in, periodically, and re-direct your actions, if need be.
Each one of us plays different roles in our lives – father / mother, brother / sister, husband / wife, business partner, community service contributor, politician and many more. The above tips are applicable for all walks of life – be it in business, community service or even personal relationships.
Being present, being conscious of our roles and how it impacts us to become better human beings is what will let us live worthwhile lives.